Frequently Asked Billing Questions

Q: Can I pay with a Certified Check?

YES! You can pay with a Certified Check, but because this requires additional footwork on our part, we require that you pay for either a semi-annual or annual contract in advance. No refunds can be given for payment made by certified check, money order, or cashier's check.

We require that you send us a Money Order or Certified Check made out to Web Services Upgrade. Please contact our Billing Department below for the exact costs of the upgrade including the set-up fee prior to sending payment.

Be sure to send the following with payment:

Send payment to:

Web Services Upgrade
1253 N Research Way, Suite Q-2500
Orem, UT 84097

Still have billing questions or problems? Please contact the Billing Department and someone will respond quickly to your problem.